miércoles, 1 de octubre de 2008

The ups and downs of teaching

Last week, Monday, I was very tired of teaching. I didn´t think I would be able to handle disobiedent kids for the next ten months. I was even thinking of ways I could get out of teaching with out looking like a failure. I knew a good excuse would be to get very sick. So my disease of choice was hepatitis. Luckily for me, I could probably contract that down here if I hadn´t gotten the shots to prevent it. The next idea was I could get pregnant of course that means I would be stuck with a kid for the rest of my life. My only choice left was to tell my kids that I wasn´t going to tolerant their disrespect any more.

On Tuesday, I gave every class a speech on my expectations of them and the results if they don´t obey. To the counselor they go and if they go three times, SUSPENSION! I think they were shocked to see me so mean. It was hard to keep a serious mad face all day. However it worked.

On Wednesday, I actually enjoyed my classes. My 7th grade social studies class always seems excited to see me. Several of my students actually hugged me and told me they loved me. I had some affirmation and I knew that I would be able to survive the year.

My devotions all week were on perservance. It was what I needed. I know that God will help me through any situation.

On a different subject, I finally moved into my house. My only piece of furniture was my bed. Fortuneately I have now aquired a hot plate and a microwave. Still no fridge. My neighbor across the street has a little store and she keeps a sharp eye on me. I think she thinks I might be a crazy for living by myself. I like it though. The best thing is that I have a patio that can grow some tomatoes and other veggies in pots.

One day left of teaching this week and then the long weekend. I can´t wait. I´m heading to the mountains to get some relief from the heat. It will be wonderful, I´m going to hug some trees!

3 comentarios:

Erik and Tara dijo...

hey girl. i miss you! i've been praying for God to keep watch over you and help you with your teaching. it sounds like he has! you crack me up too. :) keep up the good work. can you post pictures yet? i'd love to see where you are! i'm sorry i'm never on skype: i have been SO busy that last 2 weeks working late, etc. we have something almost every night now that we are small group leaders and erik is taking a class. i think about you lots. love you! tara

Heidi dijo...

You can do it, Joy!

Unknown dijo...

I miss you