lunes, 20 de octubre de 2008

Rain Rain GO AWAY!!!!

Well the constant dripping is definately annoying. Unfortunately, its more then annoying for some people. The rivers are swollen and there is flooding. Sunday morning, I awoke to hear helicopters buzzing about. I didn´t know what all the noise was about. I live a seclusive life, no tv, internet, or telephone. (well i have my cell).

As I walked to the SM house to see Claudia, I met the pathfinder group and they invited me to help them move Pastor Roy and Norma (the principal). I found out they were moving because their house was filling with water and they were worried that if it rained more the river might come up to thier house. I was expecting the house to be on the river´s edge. It wasn´t and it would take a lot more raining for it to be. However, they were moving and I helped. I´m not even sure if they were moving becuase of the flooding.

Between loading up the truck and waiting for to return empty, I was taught spanish words and played some interesting games. Most of the time I didn´t know what was going to happen until it did. It made playing so much more interesting.

When we were finished moving, the group went down to see the river. It had gone down but was still incredibly high. The soccer field was now part of the river. There was a beach where there used be green grass. After skipping stones across what used to be the soccer field, we headed home.

Later in the afternoon, I went to the stadium to watch the soccer game. On the way there, I was able to see how high the river had risen. It had covered the bridge at one point. After the game was over, we went to Pizza Hut. The river was massive by the main road. There houses that were covered almost entirely in water. The taxi driver pointed out the club and told us that river came over the road and into the club while there were people in it dancing.

The rain is still failing. It stops for a couple of hours and the resumes again. The government closed school and so I don´t have to teach tomorrow. Ironically, I actually miss my students and was looking forward to teaching tomorrow. I think its that I´d rather fight with them then have absolutely nothing to do.

Hopefully, the weather changes for the better and those that lost their homes are able to find better ones. As always, life is interesting.

1 comentario:

Unknown dijo...

It snowed a little last night but it didn't stick. It's been windy and a little slushy.